Veterans Benefits

Moberly Area Community College is approved for certification of students eligible to receive educational assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). The Office of Veterans Affairs (OVA) is located in the Financial Aid Office located on the Moberly campus in Andrew Komar Jr. Hall, Room H11; a VA representative is also available on the Columbia campus. A Veterans Education Certifying Official will be happy to discuss any questions regarding your educational benefits, rights and responsibilities and can be reached by calling (660) 263-4100, ext. 11296 or ext. 12111, or email sent to The information on this site is based on existing rules and regulations of the Department of Veterans Affairs and should not be construed as being absolute. New rules and regulations are being released by the DVA continually and may supersede the information seen here. To view the most current information, visit


To be eligible for VA educational benefits you must be a degree-seeking student with a declared major. Academic advising is an important process for any MACC student. It is crucial for all VA students to realize that there is a distinct difference between academic advising and VA certification. It is quite possible that a course you may be advised to take will not meet VA certification requirements. For example, while it may be academically sound to repeat a class or to take elective classes, the VA may not certify such classes for payment and you would be personally responsible for the resulting cost. It is your responsibility to make certain that your classes meet VA certification requirements should you desire VA payment for these classes. Our Veteran Services Office can assist you with questions or concerns you may have.

MACC VA Registration Form  (Please retain a copy for your records)

Request for Change of Address

Direct Deposit Enrollment


Current Education Pay Rates 


Eligibility for the various VA Educational Benefits programs is determined by several factors, including your branch of service, nature of service, enlistment and separation dates, and character of discharge. In all cases, the final determination of eligibility is made by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Application forms for your VA benefits are available in MACC¹s Financial Aid Office, all off-campus locations and online at Applications may also be submitted electronically at The amount of money you will receive for education benefits differs for each program, so it is best to contact our office at (660)-263-4100, extension 11296 or ext. 12111, or email, or contact the VA Regional Office at (888)-442-4551 with a specific question about pay. Please refer to the following Benefits description to help you in determining the benefit for which you may be eligible.


GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Montgomery GI Bill – Chapter 30: Individuals who entered active duty after July, 1985, and participated in the pay reduction program (pay reduced $100 a month for 12 months) and served honorably for two years or more are eligible. Veterans or service persons cannot withdraw money paid into the fund.

Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP) – Chapter 32: Individuals who entered active duty service between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985, served a continuous period 181 days or more and contributed toward the education programs are eligible. Monthly benefits are determined by adding the amount of personal contributions and DOD contributions made during the years of active service.

Post-9/11 Veterans Education Act of 2008 – Chapter 33 (Veteran): The Post-9/11 GI Bill is a new benefit providing educational assistance to individuals who have served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. This program is scheduled to be implemented in August 2009 and benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009 only. The program is designed to pay for tuition, fees, books and living expenses and also allows for transfer of entitlement to spouses and children. Please refer to for information pertaining to this program. Information will be updated as available.

Montgomery GI Bill for Reservists – Chapter 1606: An individual who enlisted, re-enlisted, or extended an enlistment in the Selected Reserve or National Guard for a period of 6 years after July 1, 1985, and has completed the initial active duty training is eligible for VA benefits. This program does not require a contribution by the service person.

Use VBA Form 22-1990 if you have never received Veterans’ Benefits. 

**Chapter 30 and 1606 – You must verify your attendance with the VA on or after the 30th (last) day of each month to prompt payment of your benefits. This can be done by either calling (888) 442-4551 or online at

MHA Calculator

Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Entitlement – Chapter 33TEB (Spouse/Dependents):  The Post-9/11 GI Bill allows uniformed service members (officer or enlisted, active duty or Selected Reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. Eligible Service Members include any member of the Uniformed Services (active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted, Public Health or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) on or after August 1, 2009, who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, and has at least 6 years of service on the date of election and agrees to serve 4 additional years in the Armed Forces from the date of election. Has at least 10 years of service on the date of election, is precluded by either standard policy (service or DoD) or statute from committing to 4 additional years, and agrees to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute, or is (or becomes) retirement eligible during the period from August 1, 2009, through August 1, 2013. A service member is considered to be retirement eligible if he or she has completed 20 years of active duty or 20 qualifying years of reserve service. An individual approved to transfer entitlement to educational assistance under this section may transfer the entitlement to his or her spouse and/or children. A family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) at the time of transfer to receive transferred educational benefits. A child’s subsequent marriage will not affect his or her eligibility to receive the educational benefit.

If you are the recipient of Transferred Entitlement of Benefits (TEB), please provide a copy of the Soldier’s TEB Approval Form. For instructions on submitting a transfer request, click here. The recipient (Transferee) must apply to use the transferred benefits.

Use VBA Form 22-1990E to apply for Chapter 33 TEB. 

GI Bill for Dependents – Chapter 35: A child or spouse of a service-connected deceased or 100 percent disabled veteran may be eligible for VA educational benefits. Benefits may be used until the dependent has reached the age of 27 or 8 years from the date of eligibility is determined, whichever is later.

Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship: The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) provides Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level. Children are eligible as of their 18th birthday (unless they have already graduated high school). A child may be married or over 23 and still be eligible, although their eligibility ends on their 33rd birthday. A spouse will lose eligibility to this benefit upon remarriage. A spouse has 15 years from the date of death of the Service member to use the benefit.

If you are eligible for both the Fry Scholarship and DEA (Dependents Educational Assistance), you will be required to make an irrevocable election between the two programs when you apply. Dependents are not eligible to receive both DEA and the Fry Scholarship based on the same event (like a Service member dying in the line of duty) unless he or she is a child whose parent died prior to August 1, 2011. A child of a parent who died prior to August 1, 2011 may still be eligible for both benefits but he/she may only use one program at a time and combined benefits are capped at a total of 81 months of full-time training. In this situation the two benefit programs cannot be used concurrently.

Use VBA Form 22-5490 if you have never applied for/received Dependents’ Benefits. 

Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)- Chapter 31: This program is available to certain veterans who have a service-connected disability of 10 percent or greater. It provides a monthly stipend and also covers the cost of tuition, books, and supplies. Eligibility is determined on a case by case basis. For more information call (573) 563-5853 or (314) 552-9881 or go to and select the Benefits tab.

Use VBA Form 28-1900 to apply for Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch 31).


  • In order to comply with laws governing the GI Bill, it is your responsibility as a student to notify the VA official in the Financial Aid Office of your status with MACC.
  • You must inform the Financial Aid office when you: enroll in classes, add or drop a class; change your major; change your address; or withdraw from MACC.
  • The DVA will not pay for the repeat of satisfactorily completed courses, except under special circumstances.
  • If you do not make satisfactory academic progress and are suspended by MACC, your GI Bill benefits cannot be resumed until you have met the requirements for reinstatement.
  • Your benefits may be terminated if you do not comply with the regulations stated above.

For other information the Veterans Administration can be contacted at 1-888-442-4551.

Tuition Assistance

State Tuition Assistance (STA)

STA is available to Soldiers and Airmen of the Missouri National Guard (MONG) meeting the current Missouri State eligibility requirements outlined in 11 CSR 10-3.015. STA is available to Soldiers and Airmen pursuing an undergraduate degree or below the day they enter the MONG. Soldiers and Airmen must be in good standing (Soldiers must not be flagged) to apply for STA for up to 39 semester hours per State Fiscal Year (1 July – 30 June); 15 Fall, 15 Spring, and 9 Summer.  Tuition paid at a maximum rate matching up to the current rate at the University of Missouri – Columbia.  Soldiers must apply and/or exhaust Federal TA (FTA) before STA.



Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

FTA is available to Soldiers (Active Duty, National Guard, and Army Reserve) meeting the current Department of Defense eligibility requirements. Soldiers must complete Advanced Individual Training (AIT) or Basic Officer Leaders Course (BOLC) to use towards an undergraduate degree. If Soldiers used Federal Tuition Assistance towards their undergraduate degree, they must complete Advanced Leader Course (ALC), Warrant Officer Advanced Course (WOAC), or Captains Career Course (CCC) before they are eligible to use Federal TA towards a graduate degree. Soldiers must be in good standing (not flagged) to apply for FTA for up to 16 semester hours per Federal Fiscal Year (1 October – 30 September) at a maximum rate of $250.00 per semester hour.

Soldiers must apply at IgnitEDIgnitEd allows Soldiers to manage their education records including college classes, testing, on-duty classes, and Army Education Counselor support online, anytime, anywhere for classroom and distance learning.


The Heroes’ Act limits the tuition and fees (not including the Technology or Student Activity/Support Service fees or lab fees assessed for special classes) charged to combat veterans to fifty dollars ($50.00) per credit hour, for any program leading to a certificate, or an associate degree. A “combat veteran” is any person who served in armed combat after September 11, 2001, who was a Missouri resident when first entering the military, and who was discharged from military service under honorable conditions. To initiate the process, a veteran must complete the Missouri Returning Heroes Application Form and return it with a copy of his or her DD-214, Member-4 copy (discharge papers) to:

Moberly Area Community College
Attention: Financial Aid Office
101 S. College Avenue
Moberly, MO 65270

The Financial Aid Office will evaluate eligibility for the Heroes’ Act after this form and the DD-214, Member-4 copy are received. Eligibility will be determined by using information obtained from the DD-214, Member-4 copy. Students must register for a program of study that will lead to a Certificate, Associate of Applied Science, Associate of Science or an Associate of Arts degree and submit an official copy of high school transcript (or GED) and all college transcripts to Student Affairs. Veterans must maintain a 2.50 cumulative grade point average in order to maintain eligibility for additional semesters. Eligibility expires ten years from the date the veteran was discharged from service.

Missouri Returning Heroes Information

Missouri Returning Heroes Application

MyCAA (Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts)

The MyCAA (Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts) program provides up to $4000 (over two years) of financial assistance for military spouses who are pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields. Spouses of Active Duty service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2 and O1-O2, as well as the spouses of activated Guard and Reserve members within those ranks, are eligible. Spouses of Guard and Reserve members must be able to start and complete their courses while their sponsor is on Title 10 orders. MyCAA pays for tuition for education and training courses and licensing/credentialing fees. This includes state certifications for teachers, medical professionals and other occupations requiring recognized certifications; licensing exams and related prep courses; continuing education unit (CEU) classes, including those offered through professional associations; and degree programs leading to employment in portable career fields. MyCAA also pays for high school completions courses, GED/HiSet tests and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes.

  • MyCAA does not pay for education and training programs that include computers (CPU’s or laptops), application, graduation or membership fees, student activity cards, child care, parking, transportation or medical services;
  • If a spouse enrolls in a course without an approved MyCAA financial assistance document, the spouse will be responsible for paying course costs;
  • MyCAA does not provide reimbursements of any kind to spouses for any reason;
  • MyCAA payments are made directly to schools using MyCAA’s electronic invoicing system;
  • Coast Guard spouses are not covered by MyCAA; Coast Guard is part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), not the Department of Defense (DOD).

Eligible spouses can establish a MyCAA account by reviewing the MyCAA Fact Sheet.   MyCAA will verify spouse DEERS benefit eligibility. Eligible spouses create their career and training plan and request financial assistance when they are within 30 days of course start dates. Additionally, spouses are responsible for applying to their selected school/program and enrolling in each course included in their approved MyCAA career and training plan.

Wartime Veteran’s Survivors Grant Program

These grants are available annually to children and spouses of Veterans whose deaths or injuries were: a result of combat action or were attributed to an illness that was contracted while serving in combat action, or who became 80% disabled as a result of injuries or accidents sustained in combat action since September 11, 2001. The total number of veterans that may receive a grant in any year is limited by statute to 25. The veteran must have been a Missouri resident when first entering the military service or at the time of death or injury. The Missouri Veteran’s Commission determines whether the veteran meets the program’s requirements. For eligibility requirements, award information and how to apply, go here.


Our Veteran Services staff is always willing to meet with you personally to help you achieve your educational objectives. We will do our best to answer your questions and to assist you in meeting the requirements of the VA Educational Assistance Programs, Tuition Assistance, and other Veteran Assistance Programs. Please contact (660)263-4100 ext. 11296 or ext 12111, or email

The Financial Aid Office will assist veterans in seeking other sources of financial aid in addition to their VA Educational Assistance benefits.


Moberly Area Community College may award 2 credit hours of physical education for military training. In order to obtain this credit, veterans must submit a copy of their DD-214 Form. In-service students must submit a statement of service or an acceptable substitute to the Registrar’s Office for evaluation in order to receive this credit.


Veterans and service members are required to request transcripts of all previous post-secondary education including results of CLEP and DANTES tests. You should request that an official academic transcript(s) be sent to the Student Affairs Office. “Documents hand-carried or submitted by the students are acceptable if in the institutions sealed letterhead envelope.

The following individuals shall be charged the in-state rate, or otherwise considered a resident, for tuition purposes:

  • A Veteran using educational assistance under either chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty Program) or chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill), of title 38, United States Code, who lives in the State of Missouri while attending a school located in the State of Missouri (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school after a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in the State of Missouri while attending a school located in the State of Missouri (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school after the transferor’s discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) who lives in the State of Missouri while attending a school located in the State of Missouri (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school after the Service member’s death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school. The person so described must have enrolled following discharge or death described above and must be using educational benefits under either chapter 30 or chapter 33, of title 38, United States Code.
  • Public Law 116-315 Section 1005 amends 38 U.S.C.3679(c) Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 – This act modifies several provisions relating to tuition rates for covered individuals.
  • Public Law 117-68 amends Title 38 USC 3679(c)(2)(A) by adding Chapter 35 recipients to the definitions of covered individuals to be changed in-state tuition effective August 1, 2022. A spouse or child using benefits under Chapter 35, Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program who lives in the State of Missouri while attending a school located in the State of Missouri (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) shall be charged the in-state rate.


This act allows current members of the Missouri National Guard and members of a reserve component of the Armed Forces of the United States to receive in-state residency status for the purposes of tuition at any public four-year institution of higher education, or in-district residency status for any two-year public institution, as described in the act. (Section 173.1153). This provision is substantially similar to HB2155 (2016).

1981-82 National Championship Women's Basketball Team

Coach Dick Halterman
Coach John Cochran
Ball Boy – Troy Halterman
Eleanor Carr
Rochelle McKenzie
Brenna Kelly
Carmela McMullen
Tammy Harryman
Janet Thompson
Kim Cooley
Lisa Brown
Georgia Hinson
Kathy Schulz
Denise Derrieux
Margrett Bassett
Jackie Glosson
Marion Fitzsimmons
Manager – Debbie Brown
Manager – John Peveler

1980-1981 Women's Basketball Team

Coach Dick Halterman
Coach John Cochran 
Sandy Moore
Pat Seger Zeitlow
Lisa Linathcum Holt
Patty Rapp Thorne
Renne Skaggs Brown
Vickie Crigler
Elenaor Carr
Rochelle McKenzie
Sheri Sills Schneider
Sara Figg Gillilan
Manager Roxie Robinson
Manager Debbie Brown

1977-78 Women’s Team

Coach Joyce Campbell
Assistant Coach Steve Hunter
Mary Smiley Wohlford
Linda Connor Seidt
Robin Fitzsimmons Trammell
Janet Jackson
Debbie Stith Head
Kristie Richards Musick
Donna Farris David
Brenda Rucker
Neal Head, trainer
Cara Sue Bowden Cockerham, manager