• apply now
  • Canvas
  • mymacc
  • enroll now

Military Friendly Logo

Veterans Benefits

Moberly Area Community College is approved for certification of students eligible to receive educational assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). The Office of Veterans Affairs (OVA) is located in the Financial Aid Office in the Andrew Komar Jr. Hall, Room H11. The Veterans Education Certifying Official will be happy to discuss any questions regarding your educational benefits, rights and responsibilities and can be reached by calling (800) 622-2070, ext. 11296 or email . The information on this site is based on existing rules and regulations of the Department of Veterans Affairs and should not be construed as being absolute. New rules and regulations are being released by the DVA continually and may supersede the information seen here. To view the most current information, visit http://www.gibill.va.gov.



To be eligible for VA educational benefits you must be a degree-seeking student with a declared major. Academic advising is an important process for any MACC student. It is crucial for all VA students to realize that there is a distinct difference between academic advising and VA certification. It is quite possible that a course you may be advised to take will not meet VA certification requirements. For example, while it may be academically sound to repeat a class or to take elective classes, the VA may not certify such classes for payment and you would be personally responsible for the resulting cost. It is your responsibility to make certain that your classes meet VA certification requirements should you desire VA payment for these classes. Our Veteran Services Office can assist you with questions or concerns you may have.


MACC VA Registration Form  (Please retain a copy for your records)

Request for Change of Address

Direct Deposit Enrollment


Current Pay Rates



Eligibility for the various VA Educational Benefits programs is determined by several factors, including your branch of service, nature of service, enlistment and separation dates, and character of discharge. In all cases, the final determination of eligibility is made by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Application forms for your VA benefits are available in MACC¹s Financial Aid Office, all off-campus locations and online at www.macc.edu. Applications may also be submitted electronically at www.gibill.va.gov. The amount of money you will receive for education benefits differs for each program, so it is best to contact our office at (800)-622-2070, extension 11296 or , or contact the VA Regional Office at (800)-827-1000 with a specific question about pay. Please refer to the following Benefits description to help you in determining the benefit for which you may be eligible.



GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Montgomery GI Bill® - Chapter 30
Individuals who entered active duty after July, 1985, and participated in the pay reduction program (pay reduced $100 a month for 12 months) and served honorably for two years or more are eligible. Veterans or service persons cannot withdraw money paid into the fund.

Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP) - Chapter 32
Individuals who entered active duty service between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985, served a continuous period 181 days or more and contributed toward the education programs are eligible. Monthly benefits are determined by adding the amount of personal contributions and DOD contributions made during the years of active service.

Montgomery GI Bill® for Reservists - Chapter 1606
An individual who enlisted, re-enlisted, or extended an enlistment in the Selected Reserve or National Guard for a period of 6 years after July 1, 1985, and has completed the initial active duty training is eligible for VA benefits. This program does not require a contribution by the service person.

Reserve Educational Assistance program – Chapter 1607
This benefit makes certain individuals who were activated after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits. It is a DOD education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress.

Use VBA Form 22-1990 if you have never received Veterans’ Benefits:



Use VBA Form 22-1995 if you have previously received Veterans’ Benefits and are changing institutions:



**Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 – You must verify your attendance with the VA on or after the 30th (last) day of each month to prompt payment of your benefits. This can be done by either calling (877) 823-2378 or online at https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do.


Veterans Administration Vocational Rehabilitation Program - Chapter 31
This program is available to certain veterans who have a service-connected disability of 10 percent or greater. It provides a monthly stipend and also covers the cost of tuition, books, and supplies. Eligibility is determined on a case by case basis. For more information call (573) 563-5853 or (314) 552-9881 or go to http://www.va.gov and select the Benefits tab.

Use VBA Form 28-1900 to apply for Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation (Ch 31)


Post-9/11 Veterans Education Act of 2008 - Chapter 33 (Veteran)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® is a new benefit providing educational assistance to individuals who have served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. This program is scheduled to be implemented in August 2009 and benefits are payable for training pursued on or after August 1, 2009 only. The program is designed to pay for tuition, fees, books and living expenses and also allows for transfer of entitlement to spouses and children. Please refer to www.gibill.va.gov for information pertaining to this program. Information will be updated as available.

BAH Calculator


Post-9/11 GI Bill® Transfer of Entitlement - Chapter 33TEB (Spouse/Dependents)

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® allows uniformed service members (officer or enlisted, active duty or Selected Reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. Eligible Service Members include any member of the Uniformed Services (active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted, Public Health or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) on or after August 1, 2009, who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®, and has at least 6 years of service on the date of election and agrees to serve 4 additional years in the Armed Forces from the date of election. Has at least 10 years of service on the date of election, is precluded by either standard policy (service or DoD) or statute from committing to 4 additional years, and agrees to serve for the maximum amount of time allowed by such policy or statute, or is (or becomes) retirement eligible during the period from August 1, 2009, through August 1, 2013. A service member is considered to be retirement eligible if he or she has completed 20 years of active duty or 20 qualifying years of reserve service. An individual approved to transfer entitlement to educational assistance under this section may transfer the entitlement to his or her spouse and/or children. A family member must be enrolled in the Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) at the time of transfer to receive transferred educational benefits. A child's subsequent marriage will not affect his or her eligibility to receive the educational benefit.


If you are the recipient of Transferred Entitlement of Benefits (TEB), please provide a copy of the Soldier's TEB Approval Form. For instructions on submitting a transfer request, click here. The recipient (Transferee) must apply to use the transferred benefits. Use VBA Form 22-1990E to apply for Ch 33TEB: http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-1990e-ARE.pdf


GI Bill® for Dependents - Chapter 35

A child or spouse of a service-connected deceased or 100 percent disabled veteran may be eligible for VA educational benefits. Benefits may be used until the dependent has reached the age of 27 or 8 years from the date of eligibility is determined, whichever is later.


Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) provides Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level. Children are eligible as of their 18th birthday (unless they have already graduated high school). A child may be married or over 23 and still be eligible, although their eligibility ends on their 33rd birthday. A spouse will lose eligibility to this benefit upon remarriage. A spouse has 15 years from the date of death of the Service member to use the benefit.

If you are eligible for both the Fry Scholarship and DEA (Dependents Educational Assistance), you will be required to make an irrevocable election between the two programs when you apply. Dependents are not eligible to receive both DEA and the Fry Scholarship based on the same event (like a Service member dying in the line of duty) unless he or she is a child whose parent died prior to August 1, 2011. A child of a parent who died prior to August 1, 2011 may still be eligible for both benefits but he/she may only use one program at a time and combined benefits are capped at a total of 81 months of full-time training. In this situation the two benefit programs cannot be used concurrently.


Use VBA Form 22-5490 if you have never applied for/received Dependents' Benefits:



Use VBA Form 22-5495 if you have previously received Dependents’ Benefits and are changing institutions:




  • In order to comply with laws governing the GI Bill®, it is your responsibility as a student to notify the VA official in the Financial Aid Office of your status with MACC.
  • It is imperative that you complete a Veterans Registration Form every semester that you register for classes.
  • You must inform the Financial Aid office when you: add or drop a class; change your major; change your address; or withdraw from MACC.
  • The DVA will not pay for the repeat of satisfactorily completed courses, except under special circumstances.
  • If you do not make satisfactory academic progress and are suspended by MACC, your GI Bill® benefits cannot be resumed until you have met the requirements for reinstatement.
  • Your benefits may be terminated if you do not comply with the regulations stated above.

For other information the Veterans Administration can be contacted at 1-888-442-4551.


Tuition Assistance

State Tuition Assistance (STA)

State Tuition Assistance is available to all M-day Army and Air National Guard members and pays for tuition only. The Program provides 100% tuition for soldiers/airmen with 10 years or less of service, and 50% tuition for over 10 years and less than 17 years of service based upon their pay entry basic date. Applications must be received prior to the 30th day of classes. Students are required to maintain a cumulative 2.50 gpa for continued eligibility. State Tuition Assistance pays for any Missouri in-state school. Soldiers who have not completed AIT, BOLC, or OCS ARE ELIGIBLE to use State Tuition Assistance prior to applying for and using Federal Tuition Assistance. Soldiers who meet the one year requirement after completion of AIT, BOLC, or OCS must apply for, and use, Federal Tuition first.

State Tuition Assistance instructions and application


Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

Federal Tuition Assistance is available to Soldiers (Active Duty, National Guard, and Army Reserve) meeting the current Department of Defense eligibility requirements. Soldiers must complete one year of service after graduating from Advanced Individual Training (AIT). Additionally, Soldiers must be in good standing (not flagged) to apply. Provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals. TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning. The courses must be offered by schools that are registered in GoArmyEd and are accredited by accrediting agencies that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

  • All eligible Soldiers will request TA through GoArmyEd. All TA for Active Duty, USAR, and ARNG Soldiers must be requested through GoArmyEd;
  • Federal Tuition Assistance is available for up to 16 semester hours per fiscal year (1 October – 30 September) at a maximum rate of $250.00 per semester hour;
  • NO FEES, to include any supporting instructional fees will be paid using TA funds. The actual cost of tuition up to the $250 per semester hour is the only cost that will be funding using TA;
  • Student must maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA for all classes paid for by Federal Tuition Assistance funding. Soldiers must receive a grade of "C" or higher in undergraduate courses, and a P or S for "Pass" grades to prevent recoupment for the amount of TA spent;
  • TA requests must be requested and approved before the course start date.


Federal TA Procedures

  1. *New students must create a GoArmyEd Account and monitor their AKO or preferred email as set up in GoArmyEd at time of registration for any updates and instructions.
  2. Student must request TA through www.GoArmyEd.com up to 60 days prior to the class start date and no later than the class start date each semester.
  3. TA is requested on a course-by-course basis.
    • Students should be very careful to make sure their courses are entered correctly.
    • If a course is entered for more than the actual cost of the class, the charges will be corrected/reduced by the school at invoicing.
    • If a course is entered for less than the actual cost of the class, the cost cannot be increased by either the student or the school after TA approval is received and the student will be responsible for the charges not covered by TA.
  4. GoArmyEd will notify the Soldier through AKO/preferred email whether the TA is approved or not. If the TA request is not approved, GoArmyEd will advise the Soldier of the reason for denial and provide guidance.
  5. The student must provide the TA Authorization form(s) to the School Certifying Official.
  6. All drops/withdrawals must take place through GoArmyEd prior to the last drop date in order not to incur a debt and initiate recoupment process.
  7. Students who do not successfully complete a class will be required to repay the TA. Students who are unable to successfully complete a class due to military reasons must request a Withdrawal for Military Reasons through GoArmyEd and complete all required steps to ensure that they will not be charged.
  8. Students must submit a signed TA Statement of Understanding (TA SOU) each year. GoArmyEd will send a notice to students 90 days before the due date each year.

Step-by-Step Guide for applying for Federal Tuition Assistance through GoArmyEd:


If you experience trouble or have issues with GoArmyEd, you may contact the School Certifying Official in the Financial Aid Office at (660)263-4100, extension 11296 or the NG MO ARNG for assistance at (573)638-9500, extension 37053. Additional information is available at http://www.moguard.com/Assets/Pages/42/Education-Incentives.aspx?ID=42. Please do not hesitate to call because waiting may cause you to miss out on TA and exceptions are granted on a very limited basis.



The Heroes’ Act limits the tuition and fees (not including the Technology or Student Activity/Support Service fees or lab fees assessed for special classes) charged to combat veterans to fifty dollars ($50.00) per credit hour, for any program leading to a certificate, or an associate degree. A “combat veteran” is any person who served in armed combat after September 11, 2001, who was a Missouri resident when first entering the military, and who was discharged from military service under honorable conditions. To initiate the process, a veteran must complete the Missouri Returning Heroes Application Form and return it with a copy of his or her DD-214, Member-4 copy (discharge papers) to: Moberly Area Community College, Attention: Financial Aid Office, 101 College Avenue, Moberly, MO 65270. The Financial Aid Office will evaluate eligibility for the Heroes’ Act after this form and the DD-214, Member-4 copy are received. Eligibility will be determined by using information obtained from the DD-214, Member-4 copy. Students must register for a program of study that will lead to a Certificate, Associate of Applied Science, Associate of Science or an Associate of Arts degree and submit an official copy of high school transcript (or GED) and all college transcripts to Student Affairs. Veterans must maintain a 2.50 cumulative grade point average in order to maintain eligibility for additional semesters. Eligibility expires ten years from the date the veteran was discharged from service.

Missouri Returning Heroes Information

Missouri Returning Heroes Application


MyCAA (Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts)

The MyCAA (Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts) program provides up to $4000 (over two years) of financial assistance for military spouses who are pursuing degree programs, licenses or credentials leading to employment in portable career fields. Spouses of Active Duty service members in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2 and O1-O2, as well as the spouses of activated Guard and Reserve members within those ranks, are eligible. Spouses of Guard and Reserve members must be able to start and complete their courses while their sponsor is on Title 10 orders. MyCAA pays for tuition for education and training courses and licensing/credentialing fees. This includes state certifications for teachers, medical professionals and other occupations requiring recognized certifications; licensing exams and related prep courses; continuing education unit (CEU) classes, including those offered through professional associations; and degree programs leading to employment in portable career fields. MyCAA also pays for high school completions courses, GED/HiSet tests and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes.

  • MyCAA does not pay for education and training programs that include computers (CPU’s or laptops), application, graduation or membership fees, student activity cards, child care, parking, transportation or medical services;
  • If a spouse enrolls in a course without an approved MyCAA financial assistance document, the spouse will be responsible for paying course costs;
  • MyCAA does not provide reimbursements of any kind to spouses for any reason;
  • MyCAA payments are made directly to schools using MyCAA’s electronic invoicing system;
  • Coast Guard spouses are not covered by MyCAA; Coast Guard is part of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), not the Department of Defense (DOD).

Eligible spouses can establish a MyCAA account by visiting https://aiportal.acc.af.mil/mycaa. MyCAA will verify spouse DEERS benefit eligibility. Eligible spouses create their career and training plan and request financial assistance when they are within 30 days of course start dates. Additionally, spouses are responsible for applying to their selected school/program and enrolling in each course included in their approved MyCAA career and training plan.


Wartime Veteran’s Survivors Grant Program

These grants are available annually to children and spouses of Veterans whose deaths or injuries were: a result of combat action or were attributed to an illness that was contracted while serving in combat action, or who became 80% disabled as a result of injuries or accidents sustained in combat action since September 11, 2001. The total number of veterans that may receive a grant in any year is limited by statute to 25. The veteran must have been a Missouri resident when first entering the military service or at the time of death or injury. The Missouri Veteran’s Commission determines whether the veteran meets the program’s requirements. For eligibility requirements, award information and how to apply, go to http://dhe.mo.gov/ppc/grants/wartimevetsurvivor.php.



Our Veteran Services staff is always willing to meet with you personally to help you achieve your educational objectives. We will do our best to answer your questions and to assist you in meeting the requirements of the VA Educational Assistance Programs, Tuition Assistance, and other Veteran Assistance Programs. Please contact (660)263-4100 ext. 11296.

The Financial Aid Office will assist veterans in seeking other sources of financial aid in addition to their VA Educational Assistance benefits.



Moberly Area Community College may award 2 credit hours of physical education for military training. In order to obtain this credit, veterans must submit a copy of their DD-214 Form. In-service students must submit a statement of service or an acceptable substitute to the Registrar's Office for evaluation in order to receive this credit.



Veterans and service members are required to request transcripts of all previous post-secondary education including results of CLEP and DANTES tests. You should request that an official academic transcript(s) be sent to the Student Affairs Office. "Documents hand-carried or submitted by the students are acceptable if in the institutions sealed letterhead envelope.


The following individuals shall be charged the in-state rate, or otherwise considered a resident, for tuition purposes:

  • A Veteran using educational assistance under either chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty Program) or chapter 33 (Post-9/11 G.I. Bill), of title 38, United States Code, who lives in the State of Missouri while attending a school located in the State of Missouri (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school after a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone using transferred Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits (38 U.S.C. § 3319) who lives in the State of Missouri while attending a school located in the State of Missouri (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school after the transferor's discharge from a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) who lives in the State of Missouri while attending a school located in the State of Missouri (regardless of his/her formal State of residence) and enrolls in the school after the Service member's death in the line of duty following a period of active duty service of 90 days or more.
  • Anyone described above while he or she remains continuously enrolled (other than during regularly scheduled breaks between courses, semesters, or terms) at the same school. The person so described must have enrolled following discharge or death described above and must be using educational benefits under either chapter 30 or chapter 33, of title 38, United States Code.
  • Public Law 116-315 Section 1005 amends 38 U.S.C.3679(c) Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 – This act modifies several provisions relating to tuition rates for covered individuals.
    This act allows current members of the Missouri National Guard and members of a reserve component of the Armed Forces of the United States to receive in-state residency status for the purposes of tuition at any public four-year institution of higher education, or in-district residency status for any two-year public institution, as described in the act. (Section 173.1153)

    This provision is substantially similar to HB2155 (2016).