Special Circumstances

The Moberly Area Community College Financial Aid Office understands that life changes may occur unexpectedly and beyond your control. Changes to income and household size (among others) may affect the original results of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Federal Regulations allow MACC to review students’ special circumstances on a case-by-case basis and make limited adjustments to data reported on the FAFSA. If you think the information reported on your current FAFSA does not accurately reflect your family’s current situation, you may request a review of your financial aid eligibility by completing the appropriate financial aid appeal form below.

Special Circumstances

A Special Circumstances Appeal allows the Moberly Area Community College Financial Aid Department to evaluate your unique situation in order to determine if an adjustment to your financial aid eligibility is warranted.

Special circumstances might include:

  • Changes or reduction in income from:
    • Lost or changed jobs
    • Loss or reduction of untaxed income such as child support or unemployment benefits
  • High medical or dental expenses in excess of 11% of the 2021 Federal Adjusted Gross Income
  • A change in household due to divorce, separation, or death
  • High elementary or secondary school tuition expenses in excess of 10% of the 2021 Federal Adjusted Gross Income

You can find the appeal form with instructions on our Financial Aid Forms page.

Dependency Status

Typically, unless there are unusual and extenuating circumstances, the Department of Education requires students under the age of 24 include parent information on their FAFSA. You can read more about dependent and independent students as defined by the Department of Education in this document: Do I Have to Provide My Parents’ Information on the FAFSA Form?

What is a Dependency Status Petition?
MACC understands some students may have a unique family situation. The Dependency Status Petition is used for reporting your unusual circumstances when you are not able to obtain parental information for your FAFSA. Please note, all decisions are made at the discretion and professional judgment of the MACC Financial Aid Office. Submission of an appeal and supporting documents does not guarantee approval. Students should be aware that MACC is not required to perform dependency overrides, and if the financial aid administrator determines an override is not appropriate, the decision cannot be appealed.

The following situations do NOT qualify for a dependency status override:

  • Parents refuse to contribute to the student’s education
  • Parents are unwilling to provide information on the FAFSA or for verification
  • Parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes
  • Student demonstrates total self-sufficiency

If you can answer yes to any of the following special circumstances, you may be eligible to complete an appeal requesting a dependency status change:

  • Have you left home because of an unsafe or abusive relationship with your parents?
  • Have you been separated from your parents, and currently live with a relative, friend, or live alone?
  • Have you gotten married since you filled out your most recent FAFSA?

You can find the Dependency Status Petition on our Financial Aid Forms page.