The Honorable Robert M. Clayton, III, provided the address at Moberly Area Community College's 87th Commencement exercises on May 15, 2015, in the Fitzsimmons-John Arena.
Judge Clayton was appointed to the Missouri Court of Appeals, Eastern District, in 2011 and was retained for a twelve-year term in November 2012. He served as Chief Judge from 2013 to 2014. Among a number of community leadership positions, Judge Clayton is the President of the Board of Affordable Community Education, Inc. (ACE), a higher education non-profit serving Northeast Missouri. ACE has been instrumental in continued fundraising to meet the needs of the MACC-Hannibal Higher Education Center that opened in January 2014.
Along with Judge Clayton, the large crowd of family and friends heard from James Cooksey, MACC Board of Trustees President and MACC President Dr. Jeff Lashley. Dr. David Russell, Commissioner of Higher Education for the Missouri Department of Higher Education, provided a special welcome to the attending military veterans. Russell is retired lieutenant colonel in the United States Army.
Of the 635 graduates for the 2014-15 academic year, 352 participated in Friday's ceremony. A number of awards and scholarships were announced during the event and at an earlier scholarship reception for recipients and donors. Among the honorees were:
- Altrusa Club Scholarship ($1000): Allison Minor (Huntsville, MO)
- Louise Anderson Trust Fund Scholarship ($1875): Renee Brochu (Columbia, MO)
- Richard J. Chamier Memorial Scholarship ($1600): Jonathon Koenig (Moberly MO)
- Daughters of the American Colonist History Award ($100): Angelina Menzel (Palmyra, MO)
- Jack Conroy Scholarship ($600): Nathan McFarland (Novinger, MO)
- Raymond & Lorene Elsbury Scholarships ($3000): Shelby DeTienne (Paris, MO) and Colby Jones (Kirksville, MO)
- Cleo A. Noel, Jr. Scholarship ($150): Emily Van Jura (Moberly MO)
- Alfred & Hazel Parrish Award – Student ($1000): Colby Jones (Kirksville, MO)
- Alfred & Hazel Parrish Award – Faculty ($1000): MACC Assistant Professor Dr. Patricia Cole (Columbia, MO)
- James D. Phelan Scholarship ($2,200): Laura Caraway (Ashland, MO)
- David W. Stamper Memorial Scholarships ($14,000): Dillon McCullough (Hannibal, MO) and Zachariah Riney (Revere, MO)
- Stan Isle Memorial Scholarship ($500): Kohlie Stock (Moberly, MO)
MACC also awarded the Superintendent's Scholarship to 84 graduating high school seniors in thirty-seven area school districts. These students will be attending MACC in the fall and were nominated by their school district's superintendent. The renewable scholarship is valued at $300 per semester and is applied to tuition and fees at the College for the fall semester immediately following high school graduation.