Phlebotomy Applications and Required Components for the 2021 Spring Course are due January 13, 2021.
See below for detailed application instructions.
Phlebotomists are allied health professionals who draw blood from patients or blood donors for medical testing.
MACC's Phlebotomy Certification Course is one of only a few training opportunities in the state of Missouri that prepares students for the ASCP examination.
Our curriculum covers core exam topics including vascular anatomy and physiology, blood collection theory and handling, safety, and applicable laws and regulations governing phlebotomy. In addition, students learn to draw blood in a variety of ways in the classroom and at affiliate sites.
Please note, our phlebotomy program is not eligible for financial aid; however, grant money may be available to help cover costs should you be eligible. Please contact or your local workforce development office for further information. Payment plan options are available through MACC Business Office.
Lectures for this 4-credit hour course are held virtually on Thursday evenings during the Spring semester from 6:00 pm to 8:25 pm. For the first night of class, students must meet in person at our Mexico, MO campus to finalize course documents and attend the first lecture. Students must also meet in person at our Mexico, MO campus for one scheduled lab during normal class time. In addition to the lecture and student lab portion of the course, a daytime, 100-hour clinical rotation component is required. Finally, you MUST have weekday, daytime availability to complete this course.
To be eligible for the phlebotomy program, the following application requirements must be submitted by January 13:
- Proof of the following immunizations:
- TB Test: One within the last two years and one within one year prior to the end of rotation OR One T-SPOT/QFT (blood test) within one year prior to the end of rotation
- 2 MMR vaccinations OR a positive titer
- 2 Varicella vaccinations OR a positive titer
- Current season’s flu vaccine
- Hepatitis B vaccinations series of 3 shots OR a positive titer
- Tetanus Diphtheria (Td) or (Tdap) within the last 10 years
- Negative Drug Screen Result
- The required drug screen (minimum 10 panel) may be completed at Mid Mo Drug Testing at 405 Bernadette Drive, Columbia, Missouri.
- When you arrive at the testing location, please inform them you are a MACC phlebotomy student.
- The cost of the drug screen is approximately $30.00, and the results will come directly to our office after specimen has been processed.
- Negative Background Check Results
- You will complete a background check through Background Check Advantage.
- The form to fill out is found here. You will send the form, signed, directly to their office at or fax it to 573-893-7669.
- Once you have sent the form, call and pay for the background check using a debit or credit card at 573-893-3700. The cost starts at $20.50 but will vary depending on how many states you have lived in and how many name changes you have had in the past.
- The results will come to our office directly.
- Reference Form
- A reference form must be filled out by a person of your choosing, either a former or current teacher, religious official, or supervisor. Do not use a friend, family friend, or relative.
- The reference form must be received in our office (MACC-Mexico, 2900 Doreli Lane, Mexico, MO 65265) in a sealed envelope directly from the reference or through the reference’s official school/church/work email address to .
- Read and comply with Essential Qualifications Requirements
- Fill out online MACC College Application to obtain MACC ID and password (Please note: it may take up to 48 hours to receive your MACC ID and password to use in Etrieve for the phlebotomy application process).
- Obtain necessary immunizations and drug screen
- Official record copies of immunizations are required as proof
- Print and fill out the following forms:
- Release of Information
- Background Check Advantage
- Log in to Etrieve using your MACC ID and password
- Complete the MACC Phlebotomy Program Application and submit your immunization records and signed Release of Information form with your application as attachments.
- Submit Background Check Advantage form and pay for background check
- Inform reference to submit reference form directly to our office
- You will be contacted through Etrieve or email if there is a problem with your application
- If accepted into the program, you will receive an email stating you are eligible to enroll for the Spring semester. You will need to provide this email to an advisor to enroll at your closest MACC campus.
The deadline for the application and its required components is January 13, 2021.
All completed application forms, immunization records, background checks, and drug screen results are required in our office before enrollment in the class is allowed. If we do not receive these required documents by January 13, your application for the course will not be considered.
For application and enrollment questions, please contact
Program Administrative Assistant:
2900 Doreli Lane
Mexico, MO 65265
(573) 582-0817 x13656
Alese Thompson MS, MLS(ASCP)CM
MHPC MLT Program Executive Director
2900 Doreli Lane
Mexico, MO 65265