DEI Committee Description
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee serves as a working group of students, staff and faculty who evaluate the campus culture and recommend programs and tools to help us grow. We strive to create an inclusive atmosphere. We will provide resources and opportunities to educate ourselves and our community. The co-chairs of this committee are Dr. Tami Sells, Assistant Professor of Psychology, and Julie Herek, Mathematics Instructor.
DEI Mission Statement
MACC is a place where all belong. Diversity fuels the MACC spirit empowering people in our inclusive community. We celebrate uniqueness of each individual, and multiple points of view. Be who you are. We like it that way.
Moberly Area Community College embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion by honoring its diverse faculty, staff, and student populations.
- Diversity. MACC acknowledges and embraces the interconnected range of physical, mental, and emotional human differences across our college community.
- Equity. MACC provides accommodating access to opportunities, networks, resources, and support regardless of an individual’s identity.
- Inclusion. Together the MACC community strives to maintain an inclusive environment, where individuals of all cultures, identities, and abilities have equal access to the education and resources that are available.
2020-21 DEI Committee Goals
- To develop a library of resources on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- To expand college-wide cultural competency through frequent and ongoing professional development activities.
- To seek out and lift the students’ voices regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- To provide opportunities for growth and engagement within our student body with respect to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- To evaluate the campus climate of each site through a formal Diversity audit, focus groups, and/or climate survey.
- To research the feasibility of and advocate for all-gender restroom options at every location.
- To provide “Safe Spaces” training for faculty and staff to promote a more welcoming environment for all our students.
- To activate and engage the MACC community for action regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- To support the addition of diversity-related topics in teaching and curriculum.
- To aid in the recruitment of, retaining, and supporting a more diverse faculty and staff at MACC.
(Approved at our Oct 2020 meeting.)
The Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Ambassador Scholarship
This scholarship has been created to support MACC’s commitment to create an inclusive community where we all belong. The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Ambassador Scholarship is a special recognition to be awarded at the discretion of the MACC Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee. DEI Ambassadors will be active participants of the DEI Committee and provide assistance in DEI related activities. A maximum of five Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Ambassador Scholarships may be presented annually. This scholarship is valued at $500 per semester, and is applied to educational expenses charged at Moberly Area Community College, including fees, tuition, lab fees, housing, meal plan, and/or books and supplies. Scholarship recipients must be seeking a degree or certificate at MACC and be enrolled in a minimum of nine (9) credit hours. This scholarship is renewable for one (1) consecutive semester if a cumulative 2.00 grade point average is maintained and nine (9) credit hours are completed. Recipients of this scholarship may reapply in subsequent years.
For more information about this scholarship, and to apply, please review the application.